Online counselling is an effective, growing form of therapy with many benefits to suit our modern, busy lifestyle and is the right medium to consider during the COVID-19 pandemic, specifically if you had to self-isolate or be quarantined.
Online Counselling with MBS item #91170
> Session fee: $101.35
> Rebate: $86.15
Online Counselling – Confidential
> Session fee: $180
> No rebate
Medicare rebate and web-counselling
The Government has introduced new COVID-19 Medicare web counselling MBS item number.
This new MBS number allows psychologists to perform web counselling with clients who meet the eligibility criteria.
However, a patient still needs a referral to be eligible for psychological therapy or focussed psychological strategy services under the COVID-19.
The new MBS number you will need is #91170, [Web-counselling attendance lasting at least 50 minutes] and you can access up to 10 sessions.
Eligible clients are those for whom at least one of the following apply:
- the person has been diagnosed with COVID-19 virus but who is not a patient of a hospital; or
- the person has been required to isolate themselves in quarantine in accordance with home isolation guidance issued by the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC); or
- the person is considered more susceptible to the COVID-19 virus being a person who is:
- at least 70 years old; or
- at least 50 years old and is of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent; or
- is pregnant; or
- is a parent of a child under 12 months; or
- is already under treatment for chronic health conditions or is immune-compromised; or
- the person meets the current national triage protocol criteria for suspected COVID-19 infection